Thursday 23 September 2010

Does anyone queue any more?

I posed this question last night when I contemplated how easy it is these days to watch virtually any film you want, via DVD or the internet.  Gone are the days, it seems to me, when people were prepared to queue around the block, even in inclement weather, to see a long anticipated film.  These days, the feeling of anticipation is gone for me.  I only have to think of a film and it is within easy reach to view whenever suits me.

I think the last time I queued around the block, would have been to see the Director´s Cut of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  That would have been in 1980 or 1981 I guess.   Going out to the “pictures” used to be a great treat, whereas watching films these days is something I just take for granted.

No comments: